to accompany tonight’s school consolidation/ repurposing meeting
Guest Post by “Falter Ego”….
Long Beach schools are facing declining enrollment ~ another outlet just showed the current “repurposing” plans will save the average homeowner $38 a year! Cut taxes? Count me in!!!
We must slash the very services young families need most, so those young families can afford to live here! What makes you poorer makes me richer, oppression is freedom… and all that!
It is not lost on me many of you young parents believe in this already! Solidarity? Unity? um, er … lets get together..um let’s prove it’s every man for himself! What a great plan:
Making a family’s different children go to different schools and change to a different one almost every year is good!
- eliminates an hour a day of learning, family, or homework time! Good!
- graduations soar from grade to grade and school to school! All the graduation cards and gifts will drive our economy!
- every kid must adjust, every year. Learn isolation, submit and shut up, worry about the future at all times. Good!
- perfect to destabilize them to fail all the tests we’re demanding, to prove schools and teachers are no good.
It’s about time we make all those spoiled, do-nothing stay-at-home parents (im not sexist-that includes you slacker dads, too!) have to pick up and drop off their taker kids at two or three different schools simultaneously. Remind them what it’s like in corporate America! Dumb idea from the top? Execute! All so someone who won’t have to sacrifice at all, can enhance their six (or seven) figure income, and put the consequences on you. This will keep them in touch with the workforce if they decide to return.
But maybe the most valuable life lessons will be for students
- once you’ve got yours on the public dime you need to turn around make sure no one else has a chance at the same! Thats your right! You deserved it, they’re just takers!
- if you can get a job, you will change jobs every year or two in order get ahead or a small raise to keep up with costs.
Lucky“Deserving” ones won’t face downsizing and layoffs before finding the next job.
- I got my pension from 25 years of 8 hour days completing 30% of the work you will do every day! Just because you youngsters will make less now for 12 hour days with no pension, no retirement and probably no social security or medicare that I will have, as you will continue to pay for mine, that’s your fault! Don’t worry young parents, I’m looking out to make sure you “save” $38 dollars a year to keep you in your house!
- Demand CUTS and ACCOUNTABILITY of everyone… but me!
Besides, why are we paying for these educations, anyway? These kids have no chance of getting jobs-there aren’t any!
Cutting three nurses to two nurses is only a 50% caseload increase, to accommodate a 12% enrollment decline. Think of the HUUUUUGE savings of that, with no liability problems! Well, liability problems aren’t mine, anyway. When something bad happens, we can use that for our political ends and just blame the nurses, teachers, or administration! TRIFECTA!
Heck, it just mirrors society’s overworked nurses, PLUS our local reality of no hospital anyway! We need to teach these kids to just get used to that!
All you drivers have it too easy – You have to save my taxes, too!
- I like when you get stuck driving behind the buses. I imagine with glee the buses in both directions stopping traffic, now! Other buses will stop the buses you’re already stuck behind. Block After Block After Block.
- Think of how well you will get to know your neighbors, chatting to them in the next car during this gridlock. It can only be good for the community as they relax together on their way to work!
- Naturally, this creates no safety problems. When a child is run over, that’s just a shame. Because, who could’ve seen that coming? It’s not like people are already breaking laws to get around the buses, drive 50+mph through the 20 mph school zone, pass stopped buses or literally throw things in addition to epithets at the cars who actually do stop for the stopped buses! I’ve never seen any of those things!
- Wow, I hadnt thought of it before, but we can get rid of a part-time crossing guard, too! cha-ching!!! Send me the $$$$$$$avings!
Best of all, the extra fuel for all this costs nothing and that cost is only going down all the time!
Quadrupling the annual mileage on our buses doesn’t cost anything either. When the buses only last one quarter of the time they were expected to last, we can blame the schools, and push that cost onto the next generation through capital improvement bonds, not general taxes! Best of all, those bonds will go onto the MUST PAY portion of the school budget pushing taxes higher, but ha ha-We have a 2% cap, so they’ll have to slash even more from education then, to pay for my $38 now… plus interest and depreciation!!
Besides, our kids need to toughen up socially and emotionally especially after being displaced to “luxury hotels” by superstorm Sandy!
Wait, you mean they will have to SPEND millions to move and “repurpose” and I won’t see any savings for 2-5 years depending on the plan? But I want my 38 bucks NOW!!! Its MINE!
And there’s no guarantee construction and IT installation costs couldn’t end up higher? That didn’t happen last time!
Please ignore the Suffolk BOCES Post-Sandy report that says that elementary enrollment will go back up 3% over the next five years and go up near 5% over the next decade. That report did not include all the new multifamily buildings that have been proposed already in 2014, 500+ units just on one of those projects, plus numerous smaller ones running through zoning appeals right now as developers snatch up distressed or damaged properties and turn them into multifamily units.
I’m sorry what? You say the schools are OUR buildings and institutions that WE THE PEOPLE own for OUR use, that help define our property SALES values (not tax rates because it is all relative to neighbors’ houses) and provide for our future security etc?
I like bad ideas just like the next guy, so when someone said “taxes” and used buzzwords like “downsizing” and “consolidation”, my brainwashing kicked in, and my knee jerked so hard my foot chipped a tooth on the way into my mouth and all calm reasoning, facts and issues went out the window.
But nevermind reality- it’s never stopped me before!
I avoid all these consequences and socialize them to everyone else AND I get $38? Close, I mean “repurpose” that school!!